Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hope in Dark Times

"Do not look forward to the changes and chances of this life in fear; rather look to them with full hope that, as they arise, God, whose you are, will deliver you out of them. He is your Keeper. He has kept you hitherto. Hold fast to his dear hand, and he will lead you safely through all things; and, when you cannot stand, he will bear you in his arms." - Saint Frances of Sales

Someone sent me the above quote this week attached to an email. It came on a day when the world and local news seemed overwhelming. Combined with my own fears of the future, I had forgotten that I always have hope no matter how dark it gets. My whole perspective was fear-based and not hope-based. Maybe you need a word of hope today. As much as I like what St. Frances had to say, I think the words from the Creator of hope will stand you in better stead to face today and every tomorrow you are given.

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." - Romans 5:1-5 (NKJV)

As I write this today, the news of the world is no brighter, but my state of being is now one of hope and peace as I turned to the only one who could give me these things in such dark times. It doesn’t mean my battle with fear is over, but I have the victory for the moment and I have been reminded where to turn when I am overwhelmed.

No comments: