Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Snail

Charles Spurgeon once said, "By perseverance the snail reached the ark." For some reason this description really captures my attention. Nothing moves slower than a snail, and it takes much time to move short distances. I see these two snails inching their way from wherever they were to the ark and then when they arrive, they look up at the gigantic structure and the incline to the entrance! How impossible it must have seemed! All the other animals were flying by them in their hurry to arrive at their destination before the door was shut and the rains would come. I wonder if they were the last pair to arrive? Sometimes I feel like one of those snails in my spiritual journey. Inching along with a lot of effort and little distance to show. I get lost in the journey and feel a failure when I compare to others heading the same place. What I fail to see is in the story of the snail's journey to the ark, the Lord waited for them. The doors did not shut before they arrived, and they did arrive. He knew them and He was waiting for them. It is no different for me His child. All I need to do is keep my eyes on the destination and my heart full of the purpose of the journey and all will be okay. Someone else once said, "It is not talent or training that guarantees victory; it is perseverance." Thus my task is before me today as every other day, persevere. "You will need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised." Hebrews 10:36 Have a great day and a great week and keep persevering.

2 comments:

Erin W said...

You are a phenomenal writer/speaker and the world’s greatest mother-in-law! Thank you for sharing the Snail Story. It serves as such a wonderful reminder to rely on God and trust in him that the path he has lead you on is not only the right path, but that the things that occur during that Journey are only to prepare us for the next journey.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)

natalie said...

what an encouragement to a fellow snail!