Saturday, January 26, 2008

3 hours and my brain is sizzling

You are probably wondering about the post before this one. I probably won't be adding too many videos to this site, but I have to explain myself. Yesterday I spent 3 hours with Brad Bridges at CAM Center. Brad is a young man in his late 20's who works in the mobilization department at CAM. The purpose of our meeting was to to look at Facebook and blogs as a tool for CAM missionaries to use. Brad's ideas and fingers on the keyboard were almost too fast for this older woman to keep up with! You all know I love the computer and the Internet so it should come as no surprise how exciting I found it to explore the possibilities and be a part of something at CAM once again. Brad showed me so many things about blogging and Facebook and how to connect the two. We needed some test things to post, and, well the baby video was worth it! It still makes me laugh. I know some of you reading this will see and understand why Facebook could be such a great tool for getting CAM's ministry out there to more folks, especially the younger group. Like it or not for us older folks connectivity and relationship building are happening more on the Internet than any other place. I have always said my 90 year old father-in-law Everett is my hero. Even today he's still reading and learning new things. He has shown me more about the computer than anyone else I know. He's my standard for aging gracefully and staying alive mentally with younger generations; thus Facebook, blogs, Internet, etc. I will be meeting with Brad again in a couple of weeks and we will continue to build on this idea and see how we can use these tools of connection and interconnection for CAM.
One of my first projects will be developing with Keegan a group on Facebook for those who have attended Quest and who will be invited to the next Quest. The idea is this will give us a common "meeting place" to share, discuss, and stay connected. One of the elements of Quest is accountability, but many miles separate us and that can sometimes easier said than done. You are probably thinking that email would work as well. Maybe, maybe not. Facebook allows for all of us to "be in one spot". Keegan will be able to lead the group with less time because it will be like everyone is in the same class room and no one can interrupt or disturb it. No emails getting lost or forgotten. Assignments can be posted and questions asked. Quest occurs twice a year and now there can be an easier way to keep it fresh and ongoing in the six months between.
Quest will be our first trial, but we are discussing how new candidates will be able to use Facebook or blogs for their support raising and for connecting to their fields of assignments in the time before their arrival on the field. Causes has already been started with the CAM Christmas ministry (those of you who use Facebook know what I am talking about) and it has shown that it may well be a viable tool. Brad had so many examples of how Facebook has already been used to either bring people to CAM's web site for more information, raise funds, or even begin the application process to join CAM. I could hardly sleep last night for thinking of new ideas and just how much I want to learn myself. What a change from my usual thoughts of all the drama of the office where I work!!!! I have so missed being a part of CAM on a more active basis. I don't know where this will lead and I don't know how involved I will be, but I know what that the time spent yesterday with Brad and the computer will help me personally continue to follow in my father-in-law Everett's footsteps. Have a great day and may you glorify God in all that you do and say.

No comments: